Friday, January 11, 2013

Compassion in Action

We reached the point in our week that stretched us to dig deep beyond ourselves.  It was our longest day and one of the most difficult emotionally, physically and mentally.  II Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness, therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me."  That verse says it all!

We woke up at 5:30AM to attend church nearby.  Wow, it was an amazing experience to see people worshiping with complete abandon.  These people who have so little but are so thankful for everything.  They were jumping around in joy with arms wide towards heaven.  I felt the presence of God the minute I stepped into the tent.  We were standing on holy ground and the holy spirit was at work.  I prayed and worshiped right along with them with tears falling.  What's wonderful is that the church meets six days out of the week for two hours.  I wish I lived closer and could join them every morning to worship and pray.  It was a beautiful way to start my day and definitely gave me strength for what was ahead.

We did two water truck deliveries and spent our time singing and dancing with the children.  Their joy is infectious and so pure.  To see them so excited to see us. I had a different perspective this time because I was taking pictures.  So many children wanted their photo taken.  I was constantly being pulled by different children trying to get my attention.  There was a moment at the end of each stop when Bill Tapler sprayed the water over the children.  I did my best to capture the moment because the kids were so excited.  It is so hot and humid here in Haiti.  How wonderful it must feel to be sprayed with cool water.

We did a quick change of clothes before heading to San Fil to visit the sick and dying.  San Fil is a home for teenagers through elderly that is run by Nuns.  There are two floors, one for the women and one for the men.  We spent our time there rubbing lotion into their dry, parched skin.  It was a very humbling experience as many completely undressed before us, but I knew it was a wonderful way to bless them.  These are people at the end of their lives and we were showing them compassion and grace through our personal sacrifice.  I know that we provided them some joy and comfort today.  I can only imagine how wonderful it must have felt to be rubbed and touched.  Lotion is something that is a luxury in Haiti.  We in America put lotion on everyday, but could you imagine not having lotion for your dry skin?  Junior, one of our translators was along with us and he was playing his guitar and we were all singing and worshiping while we rubbed lotion on their bodies.  It was a very holy moment and wonderful to hear them singing with us.  There were so many words of thanks and praise for what we were doing for them.  I want to give all the glory to God for using  us to be His hands to touch their lives.  I hope to see them in Heaven where their pain and suffering will be no more...Where we can dance together on streets of gold and worship our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ!

Written by Sara Luther


No comments:

Post a Comment