Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Today we started by going to a beautiful pool to do "pool therapy" with children from Gertrudes Orphanage.  Gertrudes Orphanage is a home for disabled children.  One of the children, Gabrielle, (if I understand right) hadn't been in the water like that before.  She clung, I mean clung, to me.  Picture legs wrapped around my waist, hands around my neck, and face buried in the side of my neck.  And then every once in a while she would laugh and it would make me laugh right along with her.  She eventually went to Trey and bear hugged him for awhile, and then other members of our team.  By the end of our time, she was able to splash a little and feel comfortable enough to be turned around and held.  What a gift to share this time with her!  There were about 6 other children that we were able to work with in the water and then afterwards we brought them back to Gertrudes.  I am amazed by the smiles on the children's faces- even when they have to be fed, can't walk, and can't speak.  My heart was full when we left them at Gertrudes.  Our afternoon was filled with holding babies at the Children's Home.  It is hard to put into words the suffering that we saw and the inadequacy I feel to help them.  What a gift to hold these sweet babies and sing songs in their ear.  I feel grateful for all that God has given me and for the gift of touch from these little ones.  There were many other sights, sounds, and experiences.  It's hard to even process through all that we have seen and yet we see just a hint at the whole picture.  Thank you to everyone reading this and supporting our team!

Written by: Michlyn
 

1 comment:

  1. Great pic Trey! So fun to read the blog. Visiting Haiti changes your heart!

    ReplyDelete